The Steeple Grange Light Railway

Number 6

A battery-electric locomotive (originally running as No. 5) built by Greenwood & Batley, but bigger than Greenbat, weighing three tons and having two 5hp motors. It was despatched in February 1953 to Glebe Mines Ltd at Eyam, thirteen miles north of Steeple Grange, for use at their Ladywash mine. This opened in the early eighteenth century as a lead mine, and after a period of disuse in the early twentieth century was reopened in 1939 to work fluorspar.

In 1959 the company was taken over by Laporte Industries Ltd, who continued to operate the mine until 1979. Number 6 was one of a number of Greenbat and Logan battery locos used for underground haulage at the mine. After closure Number 6 lay out of use at the surface for some time until it was obtained by the SGLR, along with other equipment, in 1987. It is currently undergoing renovation on site.

© Steeple Grange Light Railway Society