The oldest locomotive on site, this is a battery-electric locomotive, but of completely different appearance from the two Greenwood & Batley engines. It was built by British Electric Vehicles Ltd of Southport,
551 – B.E.V. works number 551, and delivered in October 1924 to the Gyrnos Tin Plate Co (1921) Ltd, of Lower Cwmtwrch, Glamorgan. By the late 1960s it was lying unused eight miles down the valley at the tin plate works of John Player & Son (1364) Ltd, Clydach, near Swansea who sold it for preservation to a Nr M Jacob, one of the partners in Narrow Gauge Enterprises.
The only 18" gauge loco in the museum at Gloddfa Ganol, B.E.V. was purchased by an SGLR member and brought to Derbyshire in February 1998. It is not in running order. Although this particular loco has no local connections, it is interesting to note that B.E.V. locomotives were used underground at the Mill Close lead mine, just six miles away from Steeple Grange.